JUNIOR INSTRUCTOR CAMPS
This five-day camp is designed for 15 - 17 yr old teens who love biking, want to improve their skills and learn how to become a mountain bike coach!
It’s a great stepping stone to becoming an MTB coach for programs like the WORCA bike camps, or simply an awesome week to shred, have fun and build their confidence, skills and passion.
ZEP's been training kids to mountain bike since the late 90’s. We’ve seen the power of this sport to help transform kids into confident, excited young adults… time and time again.
This camp now also includes the three-day PMBIA Level 1 Certification course!
WHO’S IT FOR...
Teenagers between the ages of 15-17 who are avid mountain bikers and at the intermediate level of riding, or above. Students should be comfortable on blue single-track trails, and easy single-black diamond trails. Typical students are comfortable with any trails in Lost Lake or trails like B-line, Karate Monkey or Crank-It-Up, in the bike park.
Students should be willing to learn with an open mind and have a genuine interest and drive in wanting to progress their skills and learn about coaching.
- Days 1 & 2: Skills coaching with individual feedback and attention from the best coaches in the business. These guys train 80% of the instructors in the industry… worldwide!
- Days 3 - 5: PMBIA Level 1 Instructor Course: a three day course designed to train and prepare teenagers how to work as an assistant instructor. More info here: pmbia.org/courses/level-1/
- Healthy, tasty lunches provided each day!
- First two days are 10am - 4.00pm
- Last three days are 8.30am - 4.30pm
LEARN THINGS LIKE
- Bike & Suspension set-up
- How to descend faster with more safety and control
- How to better control speeds on steeps and rock rolls
- How to adapt to different drops at different speeds
- How to rail any corner; flat, bermed, fast or slow
- How to teach and guide safe and fun mountain bike lessons
- Riding Theory of MTB, including basic physics and biomechanics
- Teaching Skills: communication, lesson structure and learning styles
- Guiding Skills: safety rules, class management and terrain choice
- Risk Management: good decision making, cause and effect
Build your confidence, have fun, meet some new friends and get even more stoked on this amazing sport. The ZEP coaches have years of experience training and teaching kids and teenagers how to ride and can offer the encouraging, fun learning environment you’re looking for.
WHAT TO BRING
A good quality, well maintained mountain bike with disc brakes and good quality tires. A modern “Enduro” or “Trail” bike with full suspension, would be ideal. Full well-fitted helmet , gloves and knee pads are mandatory. Students must carry their own tools, spare tube, water, snacks and phone.
2019 DATES & PRICING
- 15th - 19th | 29th - Aug 2nd
|Program||$829 / person||Includes 5 days of coaching and training, with lunches|
|Lift Ticket||$TBA||If required, please contact us for details|
All of ZEP’s quality, MTB friendly accommodations have full kitchens and laundry facilities.
We recommend you bring your own bike. However, if you need to rent a bike, please contact our partners at Evolution Bike Shop.
Please again pass on my thanks to Jake and the ZEP Team. I really enjoyed the day. I have had private coaching twice previously and I found that Jake's manner of explanation to be the most effective by far for me. He was exactly as encouraging as I needed without pushing me too hard, especially as I was in a rather fragile state of mind after the big race!
He made a couple of really key changes to my riding technique, and this made a massive difference. I am pleased to say that in the few days we had in the bike park after the coaching session that I successfully and confidently rode some of the trail features that we had discussed on the day. My husband was really impressed with my gains in confidence also, and I actually had to show him how to ride one rock rollover, which was a first for us in 15+ years of riding together. Thank you to Jake for an excellent day!Helen